Never Underestimate A Small Spot Of Mold Or Fungal Growth In Your Home

Posted on: 31 December 2014

Most homeowners today have heard something about mold and its associated dangers. More information is known today than ever before about mold spores and their unhealthy side effects. Maybe you have found a tiny spot of mold growing behind your sofa or maybe you found a little patch behind your washer and dryer. If you think because a patch of mold is small it is not formidable, you might want to think again.

When Hidden Mold Rears Its Ugly Head

The small patch of mold you find behind your sofa or other furnishing could be coming from behind the walls. Mold requires moisture and oxygen for survival; you may think because there is no evidence of moisture behind your sofa, the little patch will go away. Do not make the mistake of ignoring small areas of mold because they are most likely coming from one that is much larger and more dangerous to your health. Mold and mildew is commonly found thriving behind materials like drywall and wallpaper, even when the interior side you see seems dry as a bone.

Air Count Spore Levels Are Important

If you find a small area of mold growth in your home, contacting a professional mold removal company, like American Environmental Construction LLC, is important. Mold removal technicians can conduct air sampling tests that will determine the type of mold you are dealing with and how much spore colonization is taking place. Air sampling tests are especially important if mold has grown out of control behind drywall or wallpaper materials.

Mold Removal Is Essential For Your Good Health

Persons suffering with allergies to mold spores may feel relieved when mold is cleaned up in their homes. However, you should bear in mind that the complete removal of affected building materials is advised, especially if you or a family member suffers with respiratory issues like asthma or chronic pulmonary obstruction disease (COPD). People with sensitive respiratory systems can suffer with allergic reaction to dead mold spores as well, so removal of all affected material is extremely important.

Some Fungi Growth Can Greatly Affect People Wearing Contact Lenses

Most homeowners only worry about mold, mildew and other fungal growths affecting their breathing and respiratory system. However, if you wear contact lenses, you should be careful about leaving your lenses in an open container of cleaning solution, especially if the fungi known as fusarium is present in your home.

Some people have suffered fungal eye infections that are known to lead to blindness from these fungi, so making sure your home is free of moisture is necessary for lowering your risk of this fungi growth. Persons living in warm, tropical areas prone to high moisture have reported more cases of fusarium eye infections. Taking care to moisture proof your home to deter mold and mildew is a good idea if you live in any area that commonly experiences high humidity

Share