How To Kill Black Mold With Everyday Household Products

Posted on: 9 December 2016

If you have found black mold growing in your home, you may be able to tackle and kill that black mold using everyday household products. Here is how you can use bleach or borax to kill mold in your home.

Using Bleach To Kill Mold

Bleach is really effective at killing mold that is growing on surfaces that are not porous. For example, bleach works really well at killing mold on things such as glass, tile, and countertops. It does not work as well on porous surfaces, such as carpeting or drywall. It is good at killing mold that is on the surface; not mold that is lurking beneath the surface.

Bleach has a very strong odor, so it should only be used to kill mold in areas where you have good air circulation. It is also a smart idea to wear a mask and protective eyewear when dealing with mold.

To use bleach to kill mold, you are going to want to dilute the bleach. Generally, you only need one cup of bleach for an entire gallon of water. Once you have mixed up a bleach-water solution, apply the solution directly onto the non-porous area where the mold is located. You can apply it using a spray bottle or a sponge.

When the bleach is applied, don't rinse it away. Allow the mold to soak it in; this will help kill the mold that is present and will help stop mold from growing in the same area in the future.

Using Borax To Kill Mold

Another way to kill mold is with borax. Borax is a good ingredient to kill mold with because it does not have a strong smell like bleach does and is not very toxic either. It can clean and deodorize at the same time. Borax is a power-based solution, so you are going to want to mix one cup of powder with a gallon of water. You may need to shake up the water to dissolve the borax in the water and create the mold-killing solution.

Dip a scrub brush into the borax solution that you created and scrub away the mold. You can also spray the borax solution onto the infected area and then scrub. Once you have scrubbed the area, wipe it down with a paper towel to get rid of extra moisture but don't rinse the area. The continued presence of the borax solution will help discourage future mold growth.

When you are done cleaning an area where mold was present, be sure to throw away the scrub brushes and clothes that you used in the cleaning process so as not to spread the mold spores, You should also vacuum up the area to pick up and remove any dislodged mold spores.

Share